The “55 ALIVE” program is offered by Wheels Driver Training Ltd. Call Wheels for details at 905-878-4135
This Driver improvement Course for Persons Age 55 and Over is made available through the Canada Safety Council.
Sessions: Course consists of six hours of classroom and two hours of in-car instruction. The course discusses and examines:
- Overview: Effect of aging on individual driving behaviour.
- Physical Changes: Eyes, Ears, slower physical movement, slower reaction, and effects of medication.
- Plan. Perception: Driving hazards and how to prepare an action
- Rules of the Road: Basic review
- Collision Prevention and Approaches to take in adverse Driving Conditions.
- Local Driving Problems and Licence Renewal: Group discussion on local and provincial driving laws and regulations.
- Practical in the car review: Two hours of in car instruction, road test and review of driving habits are included.
NOTE: Persons 55 years of age and older can take either classroom and in-car, or just the classroom. To take the in-car people are required to take the classroom part.