1. Changing a Tire: DO NOT change tire. Instead, use your cellular phone and call for help OR pump air into tire with a portable tire pump which uses the cigarette lighter for power.
- Park in a safe place. Make sure the parking brake in on, have Gear Select Lever in PARK, turn key off.
- Place blocks both in front and behind two tires
- remove all equipment (car jack, spare tire, tire wrench) from car.
- Remove hub cap which could be centre of wheel or a one piece hub cap (on some models the hub cap is bolted on with tire.
- Loosen each lug nut by turning counter clock wise, (in nearly all cases)
- Position jack on firm ground and place jack under “T” frame and raise car about 10 centimetres or 4 inches.
- Remove lug nuts from the flat tire. Pull flat tire from wheel and replace with good spare tire on the wheel. Hand tighten lug nuts.
- Lower jack until tire touches ground.
- Tighten nuts with a wrench in a cross star pattern. To check that nuts are tight, tighten with tire wrench once again.
- Replace hub cap as required and remove jack.
- Put everything back in the trunk of car properly.
- Get flat tire repaired or replaced at the nearest repair store.
- Grey Exhaust: This is the colour to expect.
- Black Exhaust: Car needs a tune up.
- Solid White Exhaust: Radiator fluid is leaking into engine. Take car to nearest repair garage, immediately.
- Blue Exhaust: Stop car immediately and have it towed to a garage, as you are seriously polluting the environment.
3. COLD WEATHER, AND IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY HAVE IN CAR
- Two or three large candles
- First Aid Kit
- Small Fire Extinguisher
- Some chocolate bars and water
- Some winter clothes and winter footwear
- Booster cables, snow scraper, shovel, cat litter for traction, small pail.
- Lighter and/or water proof matches
- Litre of motor oil, windshield washer fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid and one alternator belt.
- A set of maps, addresses and phone numbers.
4. CHECK THE FOLLOWING EVERY WEEK
- Wash vehicle
- Motor Oil level
- Windshield Washer Fluid level
- Tire Pressure
- All headlights, turn signals and taillights
- Radiator Fluid level (Check overflow tank)
- Clean inside vehicle
- Clean inside trunk
- View brake fluid level in plastic container
- Glass is clean and there are no cracks